Each year, the Church gives us the season of Advent to start anew, not just with the liturgical year, but also to refocus our energies on the Lord and the lives he calls us to live. Through his actions, Pope Francis has repeatedly shown us how important it is to love and serve others, especially those the world deems unworthy of our time. Although the Holy Father does his ministry on a global scale, we can love and serve our neighbors right here at home. The following offers 22 ways, one for every day of Advent, to give of your time, talent and treasure to make someone's day brighter this Advent. And in the process, you might find that your day is brigher as well. These suggestions are listed in alphabetical order and not in any order of importance. Click on the idea to go to a page that offers more details or contact information.
1. Add a prayer for peace on earth to your prayers around the Advent wreath.
2. Be a guardian angel and help Arkansas Catholic inspire a new generation
3. Become a St. Nicholas Partner and help serve the poorest and most vulnerable among us.
4. Call upon the saints of Advent to pray for those who no longer attend church.
5. Create an Advent Calendar with daily acts of kindness for your family to do for each other.
6. Donate a car to Catholic Charities of Arkansas to support its many ministries.
7. Give to the collections that care for the needs of our retired priests and religious.
9 Help a couple adopt a baby by making a donation to offset the cost of the process.
11. Invite a friend or co-worker to take part in your family's Advent traditions.
12. Join a Catholic organization in bringing Christ to those in need this Christmas.
13. Mail Christmas cards or visit patients in your local hospital.
14. Mail Christmas cards or cookies to inmates in jail or a nearby prison.
15. Pay the tuition for a student who can't afford to go to a Catholic school.
16. Pray for those discerning a vocation to the priesthood or religious life.
17. Read the Christmas story to share your joy with someone who has never heard it.
19. Study Bishop Taylor's Advent Study Guide about the human rights of immigrants.
20. Support CASA to help serve the pastoral, educational and social needs of our diocese.