Preparing the Way
|Advent is a four-week season of joy, anticipation and repentance to prepare for the coming of our savior, Jesus Christ. It continues through Dec. 24. We are invited to reflect on the wondrous mystery of our Savior's birth and his coming again in glory at the end of time. To learn more, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church, nos. 524-528 or visit our Advent Resource Guide|
Diaconate ordination set for Dec. 14
Jack E. Sidler Sr., a member of Sacred Heart of Mary Church in Barling, will be ordained a transitional deacon at 10 a.m., Saturday, Dec. 14 at St. Boniface Church in Fort Smith by Bishop Anthony B. Taylor. He will serve his first Mass at 9 a.m., Sunday, Dec. 15 at St. Boniface. He is discerning the priesthood as a seminarian for the Diocese of Little Rock.
Sidler is a 69-year-old widower and convert to the Catholic faith. In his vocation story, he summed up calling: "My desire to serve our God and our Church as a priest has become stronger, and although I am nervous, I am not unsure of my call. I feel honored and humbled that I may spend the remainder of my life serving my God and faith community as their priest." To learn more, read his entire story in English or Spanish.
Become a St. Nicholas Partner and help poor
Did you know that Arkansas has the fourth highest poverty rate in the nation? And of those who live in poverty, more than 25 percent are children. Since 2006, Catholic Charities of Arkansas has raised nearly $90,000 through its annual St. Nicholas Partners Appeal to help the poor.
This year's St. Nicholas Partners card was inserted into the Nov. 30 issue of Arkansas Catholic. Included was a small donation envelope listing the ministries of Catholic Charities, which have direct, personal contact with the people they serve. Learn more about the work of Catholic Charities by reading the latest issue of Catholic Charities Connections.
Katherine Verdaris, a junior at Mount St. Mary Academy in Little Rock, created the artwork for this year's Christmas card. St. Nicholas' role as the patron saint of sailors served as her inspiration. However, the saint is especially known for his generosity to those in need. Please follow his example by becoming a St. Nicholas Partner. Donations may be given in the name of a friend or family member. To receive a card or get more information, contact Rebecca Cargile at (501) 664-0340, ext. 355. Mail donations to: St. Nicholas Partners, Catholic Charities of Arkansas, 2500 N. Tyler St., Little Rock, AR 72207.
Vocation retreats to be offered at diocese
Two free discernment retreats will be offered at St. John Catholic Center in Little Rock in January to help single men and women explore a call to priesthood or religious life. Meals and lodging will be provided.
A Come and See Retreat will be held Jan. 3-4 for men ages 16 and older. Rooted in prayer and to consist of talks, group discussion, vocational videos and personal testimonies, this retreat is designed to help participants discern priesthood. The 24-hour-retreat begins at 3 p.m. Jan. 3 in Fletcher Hall. For more information, contact Maria Izquierdo-Roque, in the diocesan Vocations Office, at (501) 664-0340. Register by completing the registration form and returning it by Dec. 16. It is provided in English and Spanish.
A Women's Religious Vocations Retreat will be held Jan. 10-11 for women ages 16 to 35. To consist of talks, group discussion, prayer, journaling and Mass, this retreat is designed to help participants discern a calling to religious life. Attendees will also meet with religious sisters from a variety of religious orders serving in Arkansas. The 24-hour-event begins at 5 p.m. Jan. 10. For more information, contact Sister Joan Pytlik, DC, minister for religious, at (501) 664-0340. Register by completing the registration form and returning it by Jan. 6.
This ministry educates parishes, other diocesan groups and diocesan clergy on alcohol and drug issues. It offers resources, referrals and information about interventions and assists parishes in initiating 12-Step programs as needed. It also acts as the liaison between the diocese and the Calix Society, which promotes spiritual development for recovering addicts. Learn more
Wednesday of the Second Week of Advent
- One Human Family, Food For All — Join Pope Francis and Caritas Internationalis, the Vatican-based federation of Catholic charities, in a global "wave of prayer" to begin at noon (local time) Dec. 10 on the South Pacific island of Samoa and head west across the world's time zones in a campaign of prayer and action to end world hunger by 2025
- Joy of the Gospel — Read Pope Francis' "Evangelii Gaudium" ("The Joy of the Gospel"), an apostolic exhortation released Nov. 26 in response to the October 2012 Synod of Bishops on the new evangelization; the entire document is available for download in English and Spanish or purchase through USCCB Publishing
- Patroness of Americas — Celebrate Our Lady of Guadalupe on Dec. 12, the feast that recalls the appearance of Mary in 1531 to Juan Diego in a small village near Mexico City, resulting in the conversion of millions to Christianity
- Video Christmas Card — Send your prayers and greetings to Pope Francis this Christmas through Vine or Instagram on the Pope2You website
- Invest in the Future — Support the Catholic Schools of Arkansas Scholarship Appeal to prevent the loss of students in our Catholic schools because of the costs associated with their education; return to the donor card to the Catholic Schools Office
- Audio Library — Listen to the homilies of Bishop Taylor — no downloading required — just click on a title to hear the audio player embedded on our site
- Catholics You Want to Know — Learn about the people in the pews making a difference through their service to the Catholic Church in Arkansas
- Stay Connected — Like the Diocese of Little Rock and Bishop Taylor on Facebook or watch our videos on YouTube
Submit an Event
- Dec. 12: Las Posadas
- Dec. 12: Our Lady of Guadalupe Feast
- Dec. 12: Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Dec. 13 - Dec. 15: Search #132
Subiaco Academy revives Saturday morning tradition
Saturday student work crews are once again keeping Subiaco beautiful ...
Central Arkansas Catholics give child use of her hands
Little Rock parish aids 9-year-old girl in gaining use of her ...
Siloam Springs church's life-size crèche a tradition
Parishioners help turn a humble manger scene into an annual event ...